Re: ewby on programming need some tips and tricks

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:01:29 -0500 (EST)

My statement about the job market is definately a generalization -- one
should look for ads in one's area to get a better sense of relevant
demand.  C++ is also at the top of that list, but I definately would not
recommend that to a beginning programmer!

Java is a strong cross-platform language, of course.  The difficulties in
accessibility, particularly on Windows, however, make me recommend Python
over it for a beginning programmer interested in cross-platform
development.  I understand that part of the accessibility problems come
from the Java side and part come from the assistive technology side that
has not taken full advantage of the accessibility API that is available.

Beginners tend to be more comfortable with languages that look more like
a natural language, so punctuation symbols can be intimidating.
Sometimes, I find them unnecessary, e.g., C# and Perl require parentheses
after an 'if' keyword, but Python and Ruby do not.  If one forgets a
paren or forgets to balance them, the code does not run.

I do recall your email about the disadvantages of Perl, as well as its
advantages.  My biggest disappointment with Perl is the seeming
inability of its lead developers to deliver a modernized version.  When
was Perl 6 first announced, 2000?  There is not even a public alpha
available yet!  This is years after treatises on how it was going to be
a superior language to others, one whose interpreter could even run
other languages.

Ruby has not been as bad, but I am still discouraged by the seeming
inability to deliver a 2.0 version with major improvements.  As far as I
can tell, there is only one or two developers working on the core, and
the pace shows this.

Python, on the other hand, has an impressively organized and
collaborative team of developers and other community leaders who keep
pushing the language, extensions, and applications forward.  I think one
should judge a language also by the community behind it.  In that
respect, I find Python better than any other dynamic language, and
arguably better than others as well.

I agree that you have created a kind of interactive environment with
TextPad.  One-liners at the command prompt are another example.
Thanks, by the way, for making your RSS program available in its
current form.

Jamal