Re: ewby on programming need some tips and tricks

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 13:47:17 -0500 (EST)

For whatever it's worth, my present perspective on these topics is as
follows.

If a new programmer wants to maximize the chance of getting paid
employment, I suggest lerning Java, C#, or PHP.  If the primary interest
is developing web sites, I recommend PHP.  If Windows desktop
applications, I recommend either C# or Visual Basic .NET, depending on
personal preference about syntax.  If cross-platform development is the
highest priority, I recommend Python.

Regarding Python, I think its indentation requirement is unfriendly to
blind programmers, particularly speech-without-braille users.  Other
aspects of a language should also be considered, however, in judging how
friendly a language is.  Clean syntax with a minimum of punctuation
symbols often makes a language more friendly to beginners.  In the
languages I have mention so far, Python and Visual Basic are the
friendliest in that respect.  Case sensitivity also makes a difference to
friendliness.  Visual Basic is the friendliest in that respect, since the
other languages mentioned are case sensitive.  An interactive environment
for testing small pieces of code is another aspect of friendliness.
Python is the best of the languages mentioned in that respect.

For anyone interested in a research project, I think the topic of what
language is easiest for a beginning blind programmer is worth
investigating.  Without empirical evidence, it is difficult to judge how
to weigh the different factors that affect the friendliness of a language.
Let me encourage any student or professional researchers on this list to
consider designing a study that may shed more light on this.