Re: ewby on programming need some tips and tricks

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 19:18:44 +0200

I know that there are libraries, like wxWidgets, and I've made programs with it, but those libraries don't offer full accessibility for all the widgets that they can create, or they offer a small number of widgets, like in case of SWT for example.

I said MFC, but actually the best accessible programs use only the Win32 standard GUI widgets which is wrapped by MFC and is usually used. Using other libraries increase the size of the program and most of the time the portability is not needed.

Well, of course, by "accessible" each one can understand what he wants. For example, by "most accessible" I understand the most accessible program with Jaws, because in my opinion Jaws is still the best screen reader, even though I am forced to still use version 6.0 cause the newer versions can't read UTF-8 chars correctly.

I have tried other screen readers like Window Eyes, but it has a very ugly interface so I don't like it, and a few other free screen readers that were made recently, but they are very slow so I also don't like them. I have also tried to use Linux with Orca, but the accessibility is very very poor, so when I test a program from the point of view of accessibility, I test it with Jaws.

Win32 standard GUI is not more accessible than other interfaces because it is better, but because Jaws support it better than it supports other interfaces. That's all. So the inaccessible programs for us are not worse than other programs, but it just happend that they use a GUI which was not made accessible by FS. Of course, there are some really bad GUIS that can't be made accessible, but that's other story.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 19:04:17 -0700

hello,
first we need to decide what language your going to use.  any
ideas?
What kind of programs do you want to write?