Re: eiffel?

  • From: "rrdinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 07:41:52 -0700

I had an Eiffel compiler when I worked for Boeing a few years ago. I like the language very much, but it has a Pascal style syntax, which I find a little wordy.

I used the compiler from Bertrand Meyer's company, which I believe is a full implementation. Meyer is the original creator of the Eiffel language. That was at least 15 years ago, however, so I don't know much about their current implementation.

Meyer has a book titled "Object Oriented Software Construction" that fully explains the language and provides a great deal of theory on OO design and such. The book is a very good read. Although I read the first edition while I could still see, I believe the second edition is available in PDF so it may be somewhat accessible. Also Meyer has a great many papers available on the web discussing various aspects of OO design. I generally regard his writing as quite readable too.

Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>