Re: colors and backgrounds for web pages

  • From: "John Greer" <jpgreer17@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:30:47 -0500

Basically, what is being said is a website is, or can be an artistic expression. Even with the most eye catching colors jumping out at you, it can still not have the ability to apeal to everyone. There is no set in stone method of what colors go with what, so if you try to think of it in terms of the mood you are trying to convey. What sites like the W3c schools will show you is the technical side of things but it will not show you how to use those colors to paint your picture in the way that you feel. For example if you are making a page about elephants, there is a color called ivory. Ivory is kind of a yellowish white. Another color associated with elephants is grey. Think of it in terms of the elephants body is grey. The body of an elephant is much bigger than the ivory of the tusks, so one of the things that will of course stand out to a person seeing the elephant is the tusks. So in short, a person making such a website could use a dark grey background with an ivory colored text as long as it is a fairly dark shade of grey. The reason for a dark grey and not a lighter one is because the more brightness you add to a color the harder it will become to see a bright colored text. Also in most cases what you are trying to draw the visitors attention to is the text of the page, what your page says. So the more visually pronounced your text is can also have an effect. Experiment with font sizes, the bigger the font the more attention you are trying to draw to what it says. For example you can have 2 bits of text the exact same size but if you want to draw more attention to a certain part of text you can use a bold attribute to emphasis it. That is by the way a sighted person in most cases can tell the difference between a standard link text and just standard reading text. With linked text visually the browser will usually have the text underlined and blue if unvisited, purple if visited. These of course can be changed also to either make them easier to see or just for artistic reasons. As an example of this I have changed the link colors of my website to green for an unvisited link or red for a visited one. And of course artisticly I am saying green means you need to go to this link or red to say hey you can stop if you want because you have already been here. On the search results screen however I do keep the link text the same color as the rest of the text because I want to draw attention to the search result as a whole and not just what the link says. But as I have said websites are a bit of an artistic expression so have fun with them but try to keep the rules of contrast and mood in mind.

JohnPG search for all of your Jaws scripts at http://www.blindcrawler.com/
Also be sure to check out Blind Crawler's Legend of the Green Dragon server at http://www.blindcrawler.com/lotg/
There will be more to come from Blind Crawler very soon.
Administrator: John Greer
Blind Crawler.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Lamar Upshaw" <lupshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:00:31 -0800
Subject: colors and backgrounds for web pages

Hi everyone,

Sighted people are giving me a hard time because my web pages
aren't
breathing fires of colorful flames! *smile*  Where can I go, or
what should
I study to learn about colors and backgrounds for web pages?
Also, is this
something that blind people can really do? Or, will I need lots
of sighted
assistance?

With All Respect,
Upshaw, LaMar T