Re: colors and backgrounds for web pages

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:50:47 -0400

Actually it isn't only the brightness that is important when picking a
background and foreground color -- the contrast is probably the most
important, and relative brightness is only part of what makes a color
contrast.  Yellow text on blue background is a good choice for high
contrast, as yellow is brighter than blue on the computer screen, but also
because the blue background lights up the blue pixels and the yellow text
lights up the green and red pixels, so as far as light is concerned, yellow
and blue are complementary.
If you want your page to be easy to read by low vision visitors, a dark
background with light text is better, but for normally sighted persons,
black on white or any dark color on white is also ok, as long as there is a
contrast.
What to avoid: things like purple on red or blue as purple lights up blue
and red pixels and therefore does not produce much contrast.  Similarly cyan
on green... you get the idea.
Finally, the content of your page might lend itself to display in colors
with various emotional associations. For example, for whatever reason,
purple is often used in pictures to convey a mood of fantasy or magic or
dreaminess, but this is obviously subjective and even culturally dependent.
Being someone who has spent my life watching my vision slowly fade away and
dealing with the frustration of not being able to see certain color
combinations clearly due to lack of contrast, and also being someone who
loves color and its associations, I would recommend that you select colors
with care on your site, as color has a significant impact on the reader,
even if he/she doesn't realize it at the time.
If you are totally blind and have never seen, it is hard to explain this
type of mental association.  Recently I bought a "Color Test" color
identifier from the American Printing House for the blind -- they have 2
models, the expensive one being the color test. I got the expensive one as
in my trials I found it more accurate. Also, the Color Test will optionally
break down the color of an object into its primary components of red, green
and blue.  Now I still have some color vision and can see most colors
without using the Color Test,  but this has given me the ability to hear the
actual breakdown of the colors I have always looked at visually -- and I can
say that if I were totally blind and never had seen and used a color test, I
wouldn't be able to make heads or tails out of the color breakdown.  There
is a little of blue in even most of the brightest yellow, for example.  The
thing to remember about color breakdown is that white has exactly 1 third
each of red, blue and green, and if something is sky blue, it is like white
mixed with a little extra blue, so the breakdown will contain seemingly a
large amount of red and green, but the eye/brain does not perceive them.
Anyway, good luck and happy hacking.
--le