Re: colors and backgrounds for web pages

  • From: "John Greer" <jpgreer17@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:53:50 -0500

Here is a much better article about it all.
http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/colormood/index.htm

JohnPG search for all of your Jaws scripts at http://www.blindcrawler.com/
Also be sure to check out Blind Crawler's Legend of the Green Dragon server at
http://www.blindcrawler.com/lotg/
There will be more to come from Blind Crawler very soon.
Administrator: John Greer
Blind Crawler.com
      From: jpgreer17@xxxxxxxxxxx
      To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:37:12 -0500

      Agreed, the problem here is as I have said there is no one set in stone
method of choosing colors.  I believe a misconception of css is that because it
is put into a style sheet that it is automatically a good choice if designed by
a sighted person.  What a style sheet is is a way for a website to have the
same look throughout the website design.  It is also used by screen readers as
a standard that they can check to get the layout of the page.  It cannot
however tell you whether or not the colors chosen on a website are the correct
ones to appeal to a wider audience.  An example of what I mean is, there are
also websites that have a static background image.  Meaning that the picture of
the deer they have as a background picture does not scroll as a person is
scrolling through the text on the page.  The text however does.  This in effect
will cause the text to sometimes be on a brown backing, or a red backing, or
even a white backing.  Because that reindeer picture does not move the person
designing the website has to make a good choice as far as text color so that it
is still readable in contrast to the picture used in the background.  Although
it can be said that black text would work, the person also has to keep in mind,
is the text size too small if I scroll it here or there thus making it hard to
read?  Yep there are times when even a person with perfect 20 20 vision can't
read a website simply because of the layout of a page.  Much of the final
design on a website has to rely on user feedback.  Is the site boring?  Is the
site to hard to look at for long periods of time?  I am sorry to say there is
no magic mathematical formula to tell you what will appeal to sighted users.
For that you do have to just rely on your user feedback.  Yahoo for instance
with it's first design was fairly similar to google in its layout.  It had its
logo with a few links on the main page.  But as customer interest dropped they
redesigned their website to make it more visually appealing to the users they
had giving them feedback.  It of course did not appeal to everyone, me for
instance.  I feel now that Yahoo has become far to cluttered in its design and
it now takes away from its actual purpose, to be a search engine.  Now even
visually you have to search around the page just to find the edit box to type
in a search.