Re: code window

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:21:14 -0400

On 10/26/2009 11:32 AM, Bryan Schulz wrote:
"what employer will say that's ok johnny you don't have to deal with the
ide problems."
An intelligent one. If the employer has issues with Johnny, they'll probably be centered around Johnny not producing. If Johnny can't use the IDE and can't find a suitable substitute method for getting the same work done, than he deserves a rebuke from his employer. But be clear, he's getting a rebuke for his lack of output, not because he's using text-based solutions Vs. GUI-based ones. I promise you, if you're a competent developer, the powers that be will remain indifferent towards a few alternate routes. Blind folk that take this idealistic approach to using GUIs are just wasting their time.

GUI based dev environment's exist that I find to be useful, even as a blind person. Eclipse, namely. But that's because the GUI can be made accessible with reasonably little fuss and with serious benefits to my productivity. I haven't had the same experience with Visual Studio and so feel that finding alternative methods is often appropriate. It's not about how you get it done--it's about getting it done one way or another.

Furthermore, I know the IDE's are popular, but I know a lot of sighted peers who have their own preferences for text editors and CLIs and what have you. It's just not the blind kids using them.

JW