Re: cisco netacad accessibility:any experience?

  • From: Mike Reiser <metalhead1009000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:16:37 -0600

On 1/26/2009 7:49 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:
Hi Tylor,
I did a Cisco CCNA while at University a few years ago.
I didn't have any problems accessing the chapters back then but that would've been a previous version of the corriculum. I think we used v3.1 or something. As for the material itself, it was largely accessible apart from some flash content. It used flash for showing pictures of computer screens showing router configurations in a terminal window and there were also interactive games like crosswords to help you master the course material but again these were inaccessible at the time. I used to read through the chapters then sit with a sighted person to go over any bits I had trouble with. A bit frustrating but I found it was the best way to handle it. As for the tests themselves, I always had a sighted helper reading the questions and picking answers for me. There are plenty of diagrams such as network topologies in them so I don't see how you could do them with just a screen reader. My instructor also altered the time allowed for my tests so I had a bit longer due to the need for someone to describe diagrams etc.
Paul