Re: cisco netacad accessibility:any experience?

  • From: "Paul Hunt" <huntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:49:38 -0000

Hi Tylor,

I did a Cisco CCNA while at University a few years ago.

I didn't have any problems accessing the chapters back then but that would've
been a previous version of the corriculum.  I think we used v3.1 or something.

As for the material itself, it was largely accessible apart from some flash
content.  It used flash for showing pictures of computer screens showing router
configurations in a terminal window and there were also interactive games like
crosswords to help you master the course material but again these were
inaccessible at the time.

I used to read through the chapters then sit with a sighted person to go over
any bits I had trouble with.  A bit frustrating but I found it was the best way
to handle it.

As for the tests themselves, I always had a sighted helper reading the
questions and picking answers for me.  There are plenty of diagrams such as
network topologies in them so I don't see how you could do them with just a
screen reader.  My instructor also altered the time allowed for my tests so I
had a bit longer due to the need for someone to describe diagrams etc.

Paul