RE: black berry accessibility

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:35:53 -0500

Hi Ken,
Did they ask any potential users what functions they might need or did they
just take the paternalistic attitude that they knew what the users would
need? Did you give them any feedback?
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Ken Perry"
             <whistler@blinkso
             ft.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       RE: black berry accessibility

             11/05/2007 02:14
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

This argument will get you in trouble with devices.  The Samsung 640 A is
accessible out of the box Samsung made it so.  Yes I can use it but they
decide what I can use for example the way it reads names is awful.  The way
you have to deal with contacts makes me pray for a rotary phone.  Its cute
that you can get the description of the backgrounds like I changed my
background to a blue J flying over a field but I couldn't email anyone
because they figure I guess that the screen reader doesn't need to work
real
good in all fields.  I spent more time on the phone going up and down arrow
because there was no read command for where you are.  There didn't seem to
be a separate way to tell what time it was or to be able to speed up the
speech or slow it down.

Its nice of the company to make this phone accessible but maybe there is
something to be said for us making screen readers so that it is more than a
toy we need tools.

Ken