backup software

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:51:39 -0500

Hi all --
I am trying to move to a backup process that is easier than copy and paste
in windows explorer...
Can anyone recommend the best software for backing up not just documents but
program data and such?
I would like it to allow me to selectively choose which data I am backing
up, and it should have enough intelligence to know where to look for all the
relevant data.  I currently use ebackup, which handles outlook express, but
I don't like it as it is not completely accessible, and the image it writes
is in a proprietary format.  Also, both ebackup and outlook express are
obsolete and unsupported.
I know about Norton ghost but haven't read the info on it. If it's anything
like the other Norton products however, I am guessing I would have a hard
time with its GUI.
I have never used windows file and settings transfer wizard, but it seems to
me I looked at it once and concluded for my purposes I was better off
copying and pasting.

I recently bought a western digital external hard drive, and read in its
docs a reference to WD backup software. Has anyone ever used that and is it
accessible?

Anyway, any info is welcome.
(As an aside, the drive is 1 TB, whch I was trying to explain to someone,
and the only thing I could think of was that it was 1 KGB -- now that's a
funny coincidence.)

TIA
--le