RE: appsetup.exe

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:01:45 -0500

I wouldn't hold my breath on FS doing that.
it took the government telling FS that they would drop sells if remote was not in the software. Took them 6 months get that feature right for use and that was after a new release. So that year was 2 version releases. When it comes down to a few people they move slow and when threatened with lose of total income they do it now. Just like the winamp scripts. Took them 3 versions before they put them in script package for jaws.

At 09:00 AM 3/4/2011, you wrote:
Thanks, my employer bought jaws for windows which needs to be labeled
more accurately as jaws for windows word processor's edition.  The
appsetup.exe and jsx jaws script exchange when added then turn jaws for
windows into jaws for windows programmer's edition.  This is critical
because as of two days ago I was presented with a Hobson's choice.  To
understand it, you need to understand that even for
programmers/developers with dev accounts that group of people is only
allowed to have NMCI approved software on their systems.  For software
to get approved, it has to go through a blackbox testing procedure which
costs lots of dollars and will only be done if many people will be using
the software packages in question.  These two jaws add-ons will be used
by too few people to make the blackbox testing worthwhile so it won't
get done and the software packages in this context will never get
approved.  When unapproved software is found on a user's computer, they
loose that computer system and they also loose their job.  That nearly
happened to a lady who is working with us on the project I've been
assigned and a Tier three technician installed the software on her
machine.  What will be done if D.O.D. requests it is freedomscientific
will install the latest version of jaws script exchange and appsetup.exe
in its next version of jaws for windows for D.O.D. and that next version
of jaws for windows will go through testing and once approved be put on
all machines needing speech screen reader services.  All of this takes
time which means I won't be doing any development on the current project
but may do development on future projects given packages become
available and work as advertised.