Re: accessible ajax

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:41:08 -0400

Hi,
What is supposed to hapen when you click on the branches?

Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"It's more important for me to start to do the right thing than it is to
wait until I think I
can do it just right."

             "Aaron Leventhal"
             <aaronlev@moonset
             .net>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: accessible ajax

             10/24/2007 12:59
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Firefox might not be as perfect as IE from within JAWS, but that's not
because of Firefox. We expose everything JAWS needs, so it's not quite
fair to say make a blanket statement that Firefox is less accessible
than IE. Firefox has a number of accessibility features that IE does not.

You might have just meant IE works a bit better with JAWS than Firefox.
I realize most users have JAWS but let's make sure we're clear about
where the problems actually are :)

ARIA is accessible, and does work with JAWS. For example, you can use
the Dojo tree view with Firefox 2 and JAWS 8 (might work in earlier
versions, but I just verified this works with my own test):
http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/dojotoolkit/dijit/tests/test_Tree.html

I notice that it repeats the word "open" and "closed" unnecessarily, but
I believe that is an issue in Dojo's ARIA implemention for tree view,
not in Firefox or JAWS.

There are examples of other widgets in the same directory. We're still
fixing bugs, but the bottom line is it basically works with Firefox 2
and JAWS 8+

- Aaron