Re: accessible ajax

  • From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:36:30 -0400

Hi Sina,

ARIA widgets work reasonably pretty well with JAWS in Firefox already, and it will continue to improve. That's because we just expose ARIA controls as MSAA. JAWS doesn't actually know whether the control is a regular HTML widget or an ARIA widget -- they see the same thing in MSAA.

Yes, the majority of blind users use IE. I cannot speak about the business commitments of Microsoft and Freedom Scientific, but I can say a few things:
- IBM is commited to making this work in Firefox + JAWS.
- Mozilla is committed to making ARIA work in Firefox with open source ATs. Working is ongoing with the Orca team, for example, under a Mozilla Foundation grant - Microsoft is an active participant on the working group designing ARIA. While it's possible to make ARIA work in IE via the DOM, the preferred solution would be for Microsoft to do the mapping to accessibility APIs from within IE. They are aware that it's a problem that Web 2.0 is leaving people with disabilities behind.

There's really a lot behind ARIA right now. If you look at the FAQ there's a section discussing where ARIA is being adopted (where we're allowed to mention it).

Notice that I didn't say that ARIA is the end-all be all solution right now. I suggested becoming aware of it. People in the programming blind community should be aware of ARIA and understand its trajectory. And personally, if I'm a developer who cares about accessibility, and I'm working on an AJAX project, I at least want to know about ARIA. Why? It might affect my design. In addition, I might want to play with it and see where it's going, and even provide feedback. I might want to include the ARIA markup for those browsers that support ARIA.

A couple things to note:
- If you're already needing to use Javascript widgets or AJAX, you're mostly hosed without ARIA. At the very least, using ARIA won't make you less accessible - ARIA doesn't affect the way the page behaves or renders for mainstream users. So, by adding the markup while you build the widgets, instead of later, you'll continue to benefit from the improvements in ARIA support along the technology chain as they happen.
- Aaron

Sina Bahram wrote:
Aaron, while you know I'm a huge supporter of ARIA, and love the work going
on there. I find it very difficult to recommend it what-so-ever, or make any
technical  references to it, when I can't show it working with jaws, at all.

Putting AT politics aside, the simple fact is that a majority of blind users
use internet explorer, and a majority of them use jaws. This is a simple,
and I would say easily demonstrable fact. So, ARIA has absolutely no purpose
for these folks until we can realize it for jaws users ... you might
convince them to start using Firefox, but you're going to run out of breath
only after a very short time of trying to convince them to use WindowEyes or
something else that's been hardcoded to work with this wonderful and
revolutionary stuff.

Please let me know if this is sounding obtuse, or if I'm missing a
fundamental assumption, but ARIA is useless to a majority of blind users as
it stands right now.

Has FS made any commitments to it?

Has Microsoft shown any willingness for IE discussions regarding it?

What are the steps being taken to make this useful rather than turn it into
something that could have been great?

Take care,
Sina