Re: a bit ot: servers

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 18:37:59 -0700

The point of a nameserver is to provide redundancy; if one fails, there is another one in backup. One specification is that they are on separate systems, to help with the redundancy. Essentially the nameservers run dns servers, which send out the records for the dns requests. That's about as much of it as I understand.

On 3/2/2011 4:04 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
I was hoping to avoid a monthly or yearly bill, though having root
access does sound nice. While it may be more work, is it possible to
register a domain on my own server (that converted pc)? What exactly
do you mean by a nameserver, and how is it different from the server
you get when you install apache or a similar program?

On 3/2/11, Littlefield, Tyler<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hello Alex, First, you can save a lot of the trouble by grabbing up a
linode. $20/m gets you a sweet server, and it's your own. It's a vps
system, but you get root so you can do whatever you want. They also run
their own DNS servers, so you don't need to do dns yourself. Let me know
if this is something you are interested in, I have a refer code. What
you need to do is find someone that hands out domain names, then point
that domain at a nameserver.
On 3/2/2011 3:44 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
I am in a class in which we have to download WAMP. I did, and I also
got Django (a Python web framework) since I love Python and had never
tried Django before. After using it, I really like it and I am toying
with setting up an old pc of mine as a server. It would be low
traffic, probably no more than a hundred visitors at a time (and
usually few to none), but I really like the idea of having control
over everything instead of renting space where I have to shell into it
and cannot add, for example, libraries or upgrades.

My question is: I had a domain registered, but I let it lapse. It was
through ipowerweb.com. First, can I re-register it for less somewhere
else, paying whomever gets paid for this sort of thing directly?
Second, is it possible to have that domain point to an ip of my
choice, namely my Apache server's ip? If so, how would I configure
this?

Thanks in advance. When I google stuff like this, I only get offers
for cheap domain registration, but they all come with server plans,
which I do not want.

Ty

Ty