ZoomText hangs my display

  • From: Paul Martz <pmartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:33:14 -0600

Hi all -- I'm having an issue with ZoomText and wondered if anyone else had encountered anything similar, and maybe had a workaround.

ZoomText typically runs fine, but about twice a day the display simply hangs with a frozen mouse pointer. Initially, the only way I could recover was with a hard system power cycle.

While hung, the system still appears to be up and responsive. For example, if I'm editing a document when the hang occurs, I can hit ctrl-s to save my work. Even though I get no visual feedback that the save happened, after cycling power I have not lost my edits, so the save did occur.

The system is a Dell laptop, and I generally use it with a 24" external monitor. There is a hotkey to switch back to the laptop display (Fn-F8). Rather than cycle the power, I have found that I can switch back to the laptop display with the hotkey. The laptop display is usually not hung, so I can often reboot gracefully.

As an experienced software developer, I have tried several things in an attempt to take ZoomText down a different code path and isolate or workaround the issue, including using only the laptop display, running at different screen resolutions, etc, all to no avail. It seems the hang occurs on this system regardless of how I use it.

I have been in touch with Ai2 technical support but it appears I am the only person experiencing this issue and their developer and support staff are unable to find root cause of the issue or provide a solution or workaround. You folks are my only hope. Any ideas?

System specs:
  Dell XPS 1730M.
  4GB RAM.
  Graphics card: Dual NVIDIA GeForce 9800M / SLI.

I suspect the graphics card and device driver are the issue, but this being a laptop, I can't simply swap in a different card. Also, the Ai2 staff knows my system config, and they didn't seem to think there was anything unusual about it.

I've tried other screen magnifiers and generally been unsatisfied with them. I'd prefer to use ZoomText if I can get this issue eliminated. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
_http://www.skew-matrix.com_ <http://www.skew-matrix.com/>
+1 303 859 9466