RE: Your Experience with Braille Displays

  • From: <Nick.Adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:06:56 +0100

Hi Kerneels.

Glad to see your still looking in to this.
As I recommended I would try to see if you can borrow a display for a
month or so to find out if you get on with it. As I said to you I find
mine invaluable but I no some who can take or leave them.

In terms of size my personal preference is as big as you can get. IMO it
allows you to see as much of the code in one go as you can but it all
depends on money.

In terms of make I've used an Alva, focus and Tieman. The one I liked
most was the Tieman, it was a comby Braille 80. the controls were nice
and the Braille cells were lovely and clear. I don't know if you can
still get these. The Alva I've got is ok, it's a bit basic in terms of
controls but it does me ok. I use the focus 80 at work and its so. The
controls are nice and its generally a smaller bit of kit. It doesn't
seem as robust as the Alva, I've been using it from new for the last 5
years and some dots have already stopped working. The Alva I've had for
7 years and it was second hand then and all but 1 dot is still working
fine. I also find the display on the focus a little mushy, I'm not sure
how else to describe it.

In terms of screen reader support many people on this list will know I'm
a fan of Hal. IMO the Braille support in Hal is wonderful. I know there
are many users in Europe which don't use the speech at all with Hal,
just Braille. In comparison the last time I used Braille with jaws it
did seem a bit primitive but that was on jaws 7 so I would hope things
have moved on since then. I've never tried Braille with WE so someone
else may have some experience with it.

HTH.
Nick.