Re: Your Experience with Braille Displays

  • From: "Robert Jaquiss" <rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:39:20 -0500

Hello:

     In the past, I have used a Braillex 2d and earlier, an Alva. My Braillex
2D has given me years of service. The one I am using now has been in use since
1995. My understanding is that the Alva units are not as good as they once
were. One problem with the Braillex units is that here in the U. S., there is
no repair center. I needed a unit for school, so I recently was able to get a
Brailliant (Actually a Baum). This 80 cell display is battery powered, has a
serial, USB and bluetooth interfaces. The Brailliant works with Window-eyes and
JAWS. As someone who has done programming C and Java, as well as writing HTML
code. I can't imagine doing this with speech.
There is a new Chinese braille display available from Perkins Products called
the Seika which sells for about $4,000. I don't know how well it works since it
is a new entry to the market. With any braille display, I suggest buying an
extended maintenance contract.

Regards,

Robert Jaquiss