RE: Your Experience with Braille Displays

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 08:29:32 -0700

Hi,

In my opinion and experiences, I usually use my braille display for
proofreading my code. Since I work with C++, I need to proofread often,
especially to check syntax and to make sure I put matching braces at the
beginning and at the end of a code block.

As for screen readers and braille displays, I'd say it's really up to a
person to try it out. I've done this combination (JAWS 10 with a BrailleNote
Apex) several times, and from what I've seen, both works well, especially
with both speech and braille to really make sure that what I type and hear
is what will appear on a computer screen and on a braille line.

Also, there are different braille languages and codes availible. There are
contracted braille code and uncontracted ones out there. The one that you
might use often with a computer is logically called "computer braille,"
which assigns unique braille dot combinations for each of the ASCII values
out there on a QWERTY keyboard. There are a total of 64 different
combinations (63 plus a blank). if uppercase and special characters are
included, we get about 255 different combinations - which is a lot...

As for device and model, I personally use BrailleNote Apex BT32 for this
task. There is another guy here who uses the same model as me to write code
(mostly in java and Python). You might want to research a little bit to find
out which model works best and with your screen reader (which one are you
using), as well s connection methods (most of them supports USB while others
support Bluetooth). The models I heard works well with screen readers would
be PAC Mate portable series, BrailleNote, Alva, Focus series, Braille Star
and others.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph