Re: Windows Accessible Remote Access?

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 08:53:40 +0000

Hi all.
With Window-Eyes, you install the software on both sides. On the server you configure Window-Eyes to install the video support for RDP (only required for Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003; Windows Vista and later uses Mirror Driver technology). On the client configure Window-Eyes to enable Microsoft RDP virtual channel support. Back on the server, select Microsoft (RDP) virtual synthesizer and on the client use whatever synthesizer. With this configuration you should hear the local copy of Window-Eyes speaking the output of the remote machine. As for NVDA, currently there is no direct RDP support other than to stream the audio back to the client, however research has begun into finding a solution similar to what the other screen readers use.
Take care.

Chris Hallsworth
You can contact me at the following channels:
E-mail and Facebook: challsworth2@xxxxxxx
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 07/01/2011 08:44, Kerneels Roos wrote:
Thanks for that Chris. With Windows-Eyes, is it a zero-install on the
remote machine, as in, can you Terminal Service to any machine and it
just works? or does it require some kind of remote installation? It's
very impressive if this can work -- I thought it's only images that is
sent via the RDP protocol. I suppose NVDA doesn't support RDP access at
all? Since work on the remote server tends to be much less than on one's
local machine you don't need (in many cases I suppose) the full power of
JAWS or WE,but just something to get by with.
Perhaps another zero cost solution would be to run the NVDA portable
version on the remote box and then listen to the audio stream via the
RDP client?
Wow, what about this. Have the remote NVDA send data through to a local
NVDA which will then voice it locally? Would work much better since you
don't lug an audio stream around cyberspace but just a stream of text?
So many possibilities with computers....

On 1/7/2011 9:32 AM, chris hallsworth wrote:
Hi all.
For JAWS, you need JAWS Professional, plus the Terminal Services
option enabled on your license, which is an additional $200 on top of
your JAWS Professional purchase. For Window-Eyes, Terminal Services
access is completely free, even in the demonstration copy,. I also
believe Dolphin's line of products support Terminal Services. I also
know of Cobra supporting it, but as yet haven't got it to work.
Take care.

Chris Hallsworth
You can contact me at the following channels:
E-mail and Facebook: challsworth2@xxxxxxx
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 07/01/2011 07:15, Kerneels Roos wrote:
Hi list,
Currently, what would be the best way to obtain speech and Braille
output when accessing a remote server via the standard graphical remote
terminal clients such as Terminal Services, Remote Desktop Sharing, VNC
and others?
I'm investigating potential work that would require this type of remote
access, and last time I had to do this kind of thing I was able to only
use ZoomText -- now I need speech.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Kerneels