Re: Windows 8, could .net loyalists be losing out? I'd like some opinions on this if you guys don't mind

  • From: Christopher Coale <ccoale427@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 13:20:52 -0700

It's rare because there really is no reason to make a native compiler (and it's a lot of work). People use C# because it is a clean language, and with the help of .NET, C# can allow people to develop any program they want very quickly (I wasn't saying it was practical. Hence why I said: "in all practicality..."). If you're on Windows, people say to use .NET because depending on what you're doing, there usually is no reason not to use it. It's easier and faster to develop on then to use the Windows API directly. And I'm not sure what your last question is asking. C# can P/Invoke Windows API procedures perfectly fine, and it is done all the time, if that is what you are asking. It has nothing to do with type-safety.

On 6/22/2011 1:11 PM, Katherine Moss wrote:
We only have one to my knowledge, and not to mention, Mono's only popular with Linux, isn't that correct? Folks seem to say that it is illogical to use anything but .net on windows if using C#. Is that just an opinion? And what you mentioned about native binaries, the problem with that, and the reason why I don't see other compilers written to give them to us directly is the type-safe requirement of the language. Because isn't the most logical reason why programmers programming against the Win32 API for using C++ rather than C# due to the fact they don't want to deal with that?