RE: Wiki for collaborative hacking

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:20:01 -0500 (EST)

This is to answer some questions and provide some tips about the wiki.

The wiki may be used for any constructive purpose that supports learning and problem-solving by blind programmers. This includes documentation efforts as well as coding.

I do not know how to integrate GIT for source code management, so if anyone else does, please give me a step-by-step (or point me to one) so that I can add such a feature. I do think GIT is a good way to go because it supports command-line access in a powerful manner. There is a GIT tutorial in the collection about miscellaneous programming languages and tools at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/prog_doc.zip

In general, feel free to create new pages or add to existing ones. Unless something is obviously a typo or factual error, try to avoid replacing material that others write -- it is usually better to add your perspective instead.

Below are tips I have prepared for common tasks related to the wiki. Larger tutorials on use of the MediaWiki web application are in the collection at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/prog_doc.zip

Jamal

Tips for using the Wiki

Creating an Account

* In your web browser, go to this URL
http://wiki.empowermentzone.com/

* Click the "Login" link.

* Click the "Create an account" link.

* Complete the form, then click the "create account" button.

* Click the link in the confirmation email that will be sent to you.

----------

Logging Into the Wiki

* Go to the wiki site.

* Log in with the credentials you specified when creating the account.

----------

Opening a Wiki Page

* Log into the wiki.

* Enter text to find in the search box.

* Alternatively, navigate to a page of interest by clicking the "New Pages" link, or the "Special Pages" link followed by the "All Pages" link.

* Visit initial pages of the wiki such as "Hacking_EdSharp."

----------

Editing a Wiki Page

* Open a wiki page of interest.

* Click the "Edit this page" link. There will be a multiline edit box where you can edit and format the text of the page.

* Use wiki markup to format the text or add links. Controls in the page may help you with this, or you can directly type the appropriate syntax based on examples provided.

* Click "save page" when done.

----------

Adding a New Wiki Page

* Log into the wiki, and then copy its URL in the address bar to the clipboard,
http://wiki.empowermentzone.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

* In your web browser, specify the target URL by pasting from the clipboard, and then replacing the "Main_Page" suffix with the name of the page you want to create. A convention of title case, with an underline to seperate words, is suggested. For example, a page named "Configuring_Eclipse" would have the URL
http://wiki.empowermentzone.com/index.php?title=Configuring_Eclipse

* If the page does not exist, it will be added. Then edit the page as before.

Alternatively, you can use the search box to look for a page by that name (with either a space or underline to separate words), and if the page is not found, choose the link by that name to create the page.

----------

Uploading a File to the Wiki

* Log into the wiki, and then Click the "Upload file" link.

* Click the "choose file" button and then specify the file to upload from your computer.

* In the "Summary" edit box, enter a one line description of the file.

* Click the "Upload file" button.
----------

Linking to an Uploaded File:

* Open the page where you want the link to appear.

* Click the "edit this page" link.

* If the uploaded file is called "project.zip," then Within the textof the page, insert wiki markup like this
[[Media:project.zip]]

* Click the "Show preview" link to check what content will result.

* Click the "Save page" button.

Linking to an External Resource:

* Use similar steps except for syntax like this
[http://example.com/project.zip]