Re: Why isn't Open Office on Windows Accessible?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:47:03 -0500

Hi,

I tried getting my hands on lotus symphony once.  it's a very involved
process.  You have to create an account and your username and password
have to be made just so and your download has to be requested just so
and ...   Look, I know it's fre but, sheesh!   I wound up giving up on
the whole thing and just never downloaded it.  I've actually heard
that lotus symphony works with Jaws though.  I didn't mention it to
the folks I talked to yesterday because I found it such an unmitigated
pain in the back side to just get my hands on the darn thing.  Open
Office is a synch to download.  I brought up ubuntu, gnome and orca as
well as Firefox (which they did know about, actually), and Seamonkey.
One of them was excited to learn that Sea Monkey can be made
accessible with very little scripting work.  I love that software,
personally btw.  Free browsers didn't surprise them but that word
processors, Ides, screen readers and operating systems with accesible
build-ins sure did.  they were also pleasantly surprised to learn that
there were so many blind developers out there.  Just goes to show you,
what you think is common knowledge may not be common to as many people
as you think.

Alex M

On 8/17/10, DaShiell, Jude T.  CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26
<jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And Just think, you didn't even get to tell them about Lotus Symphony
> which has same status as OpenOffice.  The only thing I found out about
> Lotus Symphony is as near as I can tell, that will be easier to make
> accessible than OpenOffice given its performance with the Thunder Screen
> Reader as compared to OpenOffice.  More appeared to be closer to
> accessible in terms of behavior of software when navigating controls.

>>> for the accessibility hooks based on the control being exposed at the
>>> very
>>> least.
>>> Rick USA

>>> audience.  The reverse is even worse not only are sighted programmers