Re: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Georgina Joyce <gena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:11:52 +0100

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 15:18 -0700, Jim Stevenson wrote:
> I heard someone is making a small pc with linux.
>
> Is anyone selling these with speakup or a screen reader installed?

As I've no idea to which machine you are talking it's hard to say.  The
Asus eee PC has revolutionised the laptop market.  The original came as
2 Gig or 4 Gig versions.  They have a cut down Zandros Linux based on
KDE which means it has no accessible attractions in it's natural state.
I've got debian with a speakup kernel installed but I can't find an easy
way for new users to get one up and talking quickly.

> How hard is it to get the bsd linux talking on the mini mac?

You'll have to educate me on this one..  As I understand it.  BSD is not
Linux and Linux is not BSD.  You have Open BSD which is free like Linux
but I don't know of any access solutions for Open BSD.  Although, the
Mini Mac's OSX is very similar to Open BSD.  So in it's natural state a
modern Mini Mac will talk straight out of the box using Voice Over.

HTH

Gena
> --
>
> Thanks much again as always.
> Jim
>

> --
>
> Jim Stevenson Ph.D
> experimental psychologist, conducting sonification research,
>  & certified master Ericksonian clinical hypnotherapist.
> jims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (650) 604-5720 w
> or leave message any time.
>
> ham call