VoiceOver and NSSpeechSynthesizer

  • From: Andrew Hauck <drewhaus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:41:08 -0600

Hello everyone, currently I'm developing for the SODBeans/Sappy project and
I'm working on Sappy compatibility for Mac OSX. I've been searching for an
API for VoiceOver but have been unsuccessful in finding anything useful.
I've found quite a bit of documentation on the NSSpeechSynthesizer API, but
it doesn't interrupt VoiceOver during speech requests. This results in two
voices speaking concurrently in certain situations.

I was curious whether any of you have heard about an API for VoiceOver or
have developed an application that generated custom speech for OSX.