Re: Visual Studio 2010 and JAWS

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 20:57:51 -0600

Hello, there,

Ok, here it is.  Ready?  The best and most valuable suggestion I can
give you with regard to using Jaws and vs 2010 is:

Don't.

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.  I'll behave now.  Seriously.  I
will.  VS 2010 doesn't work well with Jaws right now.  There's been
some talk on this list about writing scripts for it by those who know
how but nothing has been written for it yet as of this writing.
People are rather busy and aren't in a position to put in the
necessary time.  So, for now, everyone is pretty much experiencing the
same thing you are.  We've actually had quite a few people in the last
few weeks ask just exactly, precisely the self same question as you
though, of course, worded in each person's own way.  My own personal
experience with it is that VS 2010 crashes whenever I try to navigate
the code editor with the Jaws cursor.  All the trouble is largely due
to Microsoft incorporating UIA, their replacement for MSAA into this
product.  Best thing to do right now is to get yourself a copy of
Visual studio 2008 for which there are specially written Jaws scripts
to make it play nice with Jaws.  That, or, use an alternative IDE.
For instance, people on this list have had a good deal of success with
Eclipse.  It's highly accessible and can be made to work as an IDE for
several languages.  Just about all the ones you can code in via Visual
Studio can be coded in eclipse and then some.  About the only one I
haven't seen some Eclipse project for is Visual Basic.  I was using it
myself for a time with c++ till I found something that worked out
better.

Good luck and sorry to yank your chain there.
Best regards,
Alex M