Re: Visual C++ Example

  • From: "Paul Hunt" <huntp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:40:35 -0000

Hi,

Yeah there's a lot to the language isn't there.  I mean C++ on its own is
pretty complex (some would say too complex) but when you factor in the
additions introduced with Visual C++ then the different ways of building UI's
like the MFC and Windows Forms it is a heck of a lot of work!

I learnt standard C++ a long time ago but am trying to get to grips with Visual
C++ but am having trouble finding good documentation because as I said, most
books out there assume you'll build the UI using Visual Studio so they don't
describe the code for it.

I prefer coding in a simple text editor and compiling on the command line - it
is more straightforward for me that way but that's just personal preference.
Obviously you can't build UI's by selecting widgets from a toolbar and you
don't get code completion etc but that's not a problem if you know the language
well enough.

Having said that I do have VS 2005 standard edition installed (and the scripts
for it).  You can do MFC work with that version but not the express version of
VC2005 as you say.  I'm more interested in Windows Forms work though.