Re: Vinux from Debian 5.0.7?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:11:34 -0600

Oh, goodness no!  I usually have Orca running in a Gnome session,
Speakup in one consle with a command prompt showing and Emacspeak in
yet another console with speakup on silent.  All use e-speak as the
synth and both Orca and Speakup use speech dispatcher.  Emacspeak uses
it's own thing but, bottom line is, I've had a three-part chorus going
once when Orca announced something going on in gnome, speakup
announced something else happening in a console window and Emacspeak
was reading me back some code.  They can all be going at the same time
and don't get in each others' way.  They can and will all talk at the
same time using the same synth without making each other crash or
anything.  The only two that have conflicts are Orca and Emacspeak.
Solution is not to run Emacspeak in a Gnome session but in a console
instead.  Works very very well.  The only problems I've ever had were
of my own making when I took it into my head to tinker with something
that should've been left alone like trying to fix Festival or
something like that.  I finally fixed it to work in Vinux but was
disappointed in the quality of the synth.  I would've been just as
happy if I'd left things alone and didn't have to break four installs
to land on the magic fix.

Alex M