Re: VS2010 Poses Challenge Against Visually Challenged

  • From: Varun Khosla <varun.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:00:50 +0530

Hi,

I've downloaded and installed the update (october 26 release)
consulting the Windows UI Automation blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/winuiautomation/archive/2009/09/16/announcing-the-platform-update-for-windows-vista.aspx
Though the menus have started working with Jaws 11, yet the code
window behaving the same — no improvements.

I don't know — being my office computer always connected to internet —
how Windows Update missed this release, although it frequently
downloads some sort of updates.

On 2/18/10, Hrvoje Katić <hrvojekatic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> They added UI Automation support to VS2010, so if you're using XP, it's
> recommended to install UI Automation update for XP and use JAWS 11 which
> supports UI Automation.
>
> On 18.2.2010 15:35, Varun Khosla wrote:
>> Hi listers,
>> What was expected has turned out to be true: MS has translated most of
>> its VS user interface into WPF user interface in the latest release of
>> its popular IDE — VS 2010. I have installed VS 2010 RC today and found
>> the most basic things — the code editor — totally inaccessible with
>> Jaws (10) due to being developed in WPF. Then, I installed jaws 11,
>> hoping for some resolution, as it is boasted to support UIA (WPF
>> accessibility API) — but it too turned out to be of little help — even
>> menus which were accessible with Jaws10 became inaccessible. Although
>> some sort of reading abbility is regained with the code editor — but
>> not at all matching the standard we, as programmers, expect.
>>
>> Things are getting more and more challenging and difficult as MS
>> continues to experiment with its UI.

Varun