Re: VS2010 Poses Challenge Against Visually Challenged

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 08:31:10 -0500

Hi: If the screen reader companies use the UIA correctly they should actually work better with the new accessibility formats. The problem is that the legace code will likely be rendered useless for anything using UIA only. Also, MS has been drifting away from putting resources into accessibility ever since Gates left the company. Jaws uses the on screen model, or use to, and I am not sure that model will work for the types of painted controls in the new version of Visual Studio. Windoweyes uses another model and I am not sure how that will work but it might be better if they ever get all their code changed. Anyway, the new UI stuff will likely be a real headache for them until they get up to speed with developing the hooks and modules to handle the new process. In the mean time it is just use what works. The screen readers should get better unless they just decide to avoid developing for MS Products and that is not likely.

Rick USA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Varun Khosla" <varun.lists@xxxxxxxxx>