RE: VMWare

  • From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:36:26 -0400

No, because vmware acts as a router ... it will do nat.

Take care,
Sina
 

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Octavian Rasnita
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:16 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: VMWare

Hmm, with other words, if my ISP allows me to connect only from a certain
IP/MAC address, I won't be able to connect to the internet using the virtual
machine if I don't have a router?

Thanks.

Octavian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Jones" <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: VMWare


> you can not. why would you want to. the virtual machine is considered 
> different as the virtual machine will have a virtual network adaptor and a

> fecticious mac address, so it will get a different ip from the dhcp server

> unless you statically assign one.
>
> Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>> Ok, I can do that, but could I run both systems with the same IP? (the 
>> guest and the host)
>>
>> Octavian
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Reiser" 
>> <metalhead1009000@xxxxxxxxx>
>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 4:51 PM
>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>
>>
>>> I guess enter the ip they give you, never heard of isps using static 
>>> addresses but I guesss enter the one they give you.
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" 
>>> <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 4:51 PM
>>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>>
>>>
>>>> Ok, thank you. And in that case what iP address do I need to set for 
>>>> the guest OS?
>>>> I guess that I need to set a different iP address than the host OS.
>>>>
>>>> The problem is that my ISP allows connections to the internet only from

>>>> a certain address, and they also verify the mac address of the network 
>>>> card.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you for clarifications.
>>>>
>>>> Octavian
>>>>
>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Reiser" 
>>>> <metalhead1009000@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>> Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:42 AM
>>>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> Use bridged networking, it'll use the networking settings from the 
>>>>> host OS.
>>>>>
>>>>> Mike
>>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" 
>>>>> <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 3:45 PM
>>>>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hi Marlon,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> VMWare Workstation has more options and some helpful wizards that 
>>>>>> makes the configuration easier.
>>>>>> It also has a wizard for choosing the folders that we want to be 
>>>>>> shared, and I read that those folders should appear in My Network 
>>>>>> places and they could also be mapped as drives.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I finally succeeded to use the USB flash memory and I installed Jaws 
>>>>>> on the virtual Windows. For the moment I still have some issues 
>>>>>> regarding networking, because I cannot access the internet from the 
>>>>>> virtual OS, and I cannot share folders.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> But this be because I've created the virtual machine with VMware 
>>>>>> server and then I use it with VMWare Workstation, or maybe because I 
>>>>>> didn't created it correctly.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> VMWare Workstation package also includes VMWare server, but I am sure

>>>>>> that if I would try to run it with VMWare server, I will still have 
>>>>>> those problems.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Now when I turn it on it appears an error message with the subject 
>>>>>> "No disk", and I can continue only if I choose the cancel button.
>>>>>> After that point, I can work fine under the virtual Windows.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> When I created the virtual image using VMWare Server, it didn't set 
>>>>>> the option of accepting the USB. I've created another one using 
>>>>>> VMWare Workstation, and in that configuration file I've seen a line 
>>>>>> something with "USB" in it. So I've copied it in the configuration 
>>>>>> file of the image created with VMWare Server, and now that image can 
>>>>>> detect USB.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I think that all the configuration files for all VMWare products are 
>>>>>> the same and if you know how to configure them manually, you don't 
>>>>>> need VMWare Workstation. However, I am a true newbie in this field 
>>>>>> yet, so...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> By the way, do you know what type of network connection should I set 
>>>>>> in the virtual machine?
>>>>>> bridged? NAT? Something else?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thank you.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Octavian
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" 
>>>>>> <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 11:13 PM
>>>>>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Hello Teddy,
>>>>>>> Would you explain me why vmware workstation is better?
>>>>>>> I don't know how to run vmware workstation, but you have to 
>>>>>>> configure
>>>>>>> the vmware virtual machine network in the vmware workstation and set
>>>>>>> an ip to your virtual machine, then you can use a mapped directory. 
>>>>>>> I
>>>>>>> did not scripted vmware workstation, I did it with vmware server 
>>>>>>> only.
>>>>>>> Thanks
>>>>>>> Marlon
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 2007/9/29, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>>>>>>> No it is not free. Only VMWare server and VMWare player are free.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> However, VMWare Workstation is better.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I discovered how to ungrab the focus using Control+alt, but I still

>>>>>>>> can't
>>>>>>>> share files...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Octavian
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>>>>> From: "alex" <laptop456@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>> To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 9:32 PM
>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: VMWare
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> > Is it free?
>>>>>>>> > ----- Original Message -----
>>>>>>>> > From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>> > To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>>>>>> > Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 1:34 PM
>>>>>>>> > Subject: VMWare
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> >> Hi,
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> I've installed VMWare Workstation and I installed another
>>>>>>>> Windows >> XP on
>>>>>>>> >> it.
>>>>>>>> >> The virtual OS is very accessible, but I got a few problems:
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> 1. I don't know how to get out if I want to use the host OS.
>>>>>>>> >> I know that I can use control+alt or something else (because I 
>>>>>>>> >> defined
>>>>>>>> >> that hotkey to control+Shift+alt) but it doesn't do anything.
>>>>>>>> The >> focus
>>>>>>>> >> is sttill in the guest OS.
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> 2. I am using the guest OS only with Narrator because I
>>>>>>>> couldn't >> find a
>>>>>>>> >> way of sharing files or folders with the host OS.
>>>>>>>> >> I have chosen to share the files, and I selected the folder I
>>>>>>>> want >> to
>>>>>>>> >> share, but I don't know where on the guest OS should appear
>>>>>>>> that >> folder.
>>>>>>>> >> I've tried to find it under My Network Places, the shared >>
>>>>>>>> documents, my
>>>>>>>> >> documents, or as another removable storage, but I couldn't
>>>>>>>> find >> it.
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> 3. I don't know why, but in the guest OS I cannot see the
>>>>>>>> memory >> stick if
>>>>>>>> >> I insert it.
>>>>>>>> >> Do you know if I need to do something special in order to
>>>>>>>> detect >> when it
>>>>>>>> >> is inserted?
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> Thank you.
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> Octavian
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >> __________
>>>>>>>> >> View the list's information and change your settings at
>>>>>>>> >> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>>>> >>
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>> > __________
>>>>>>>> > View the list's information and change your settings at
>>>>>>>> > //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>>>> >
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> __________
>>>>>>>> View the list's information and change your settings at
>>>>>>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>>> When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows," people just
>>>>>>> stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, for
>>>>>>> free."
>>>>>>> Linus Torvalds
>>>>>>> __________
>>>>>>> View the list's information and change your settings at
>>>>>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> __________
>>>>>> View the list's information and change your settings at 
>>>>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> __________
>>>>> View the list's information and change your settings at 
>>>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> __________
>>>> View the list's information and change your settings at 
>>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> __________
>>> View the list's information and change your settings at 
>>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
>>>
>>
>> __________
>> View the list's information and change your settings at 
>> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
> __________
> View the list's information and change your settings at 
> //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind
> 

__________
View the list's information and change your settings at 
//www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind

__________
View the list's information and change your settings at
//www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind

  • Follow-Ups:

Other related posts: