Re: VB2005: MenuStrip and its controls.

  • From: "Richard Thomas" <rthomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 05:43:41 -0500

   Hi Gabriel:
I always find working with the MenuStrip a pain.
Where you see the words quote Type Here" is actually a box on the Forms Designer where you can enter the names of items to add to the MenuStrip. If you tab to the Menu Strip and arrow right one space you are suppose to be able to enter a new TopLevel item Name likeFile Edit View or anything else you would want to see across the top of the MenuStrip.
I think you would just enter the Name and hit enter.
Then, You should be able to bring up the menu bar and under the View Menu select Properties.
I think you can set the Click Event and properties like text from there.
Go Back to the Forms Designer and tab to your new Tabbed Item, that is, FILE, MENU or whatever you called it, arrow down once. You should get the Type Here box again. If you enter a name here it will be a PullDown under the Tabbed Ite you entered as a TopLevel item.. For Example; if you entered the word FILE as your first TabbedItem you might enter something like OPEN or CLOSE orSAVE or Any other name for the PullDown to appear just under the FILE TabbedItem.
This Will then be an event you will want to write code for.
I think after you type the name you hit enter, not sure.
If it all works you should be able to run your program just to see what happens. If you entered a TopLevel nTabbedItem of FILE and the first PullDown as SAVE you should hear something like the Window Name. Press the Windows Key to open the Menu Bar and you might hear FILE, then if you arrow down you should hear SAVE. Actually enter two TabbedItems to the top level of the Menu Strip and at least one pulldown for each like: FILE with a PullDown called SAVE or anything you want to call it, and a second Tabbed item called something else, hmm, perhapsREPORTS and a PullDown under REPORTS called something like MyFirstReport. Then when you run your program you should be able to bring up the MenuBar, tab between FILE and REPORT and hit the Down Arrow to open either TopLevel TabbedItem and read the PullDown under the TabbedItem. Like tab to REPORT, down arrow and should hear MyFirstReport. Phew! The control is a kind of pain to use with WindowEyes but this method might work well with Braille. You should feel a box to the right to enter new TopLevel TabbedItems and a box under to enter PullDown Items under each of the TopLevel Items. You might have to arrow past any items you already entered, right for TopLevel items until the Enter Box comes up and down arrow to enter a new PullDown Item until the Enter Box comes up.
At least that is how I remember the old  tutorials for this feature.
Rick USA
Then you are suppose to be able to tab to one of those names, or likely tab to it since the arrow might trigger the type here box to pop up, and then down arrow. Again if you are on, for example, File and down arrow once it should say type here. You should be able to enter a Name of the first pull down item under the File Tab. So you could enter anything for a name like SAVE or OPEN or CLOSE or whatever else you want. This is how sighted folks do it and it might work well with your braille setup.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gabriel Battaglia" <iz4apu@xxxxxxxxx>