Re: VB Script Editor or JScript EditorScript Editor for Windoweyes Development

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:12:30 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rick,
There is a section of the Window-Eyes scripting manual on
choosing an editor.  It's short enough that I'm pasting it below.  I would
recommend VBScript over JScript because you can easily copy and paste
snippets from existing scripts, which are overwhelmingly in VBScript.

There is no integrated development environment for Window-Eyes.  I think
some edotors in the list below have support for VBScript, perhaps even
IntelliSense with a reference to a COM server configured such as
"Window-Eyes.Application."  I don't know how speech friendly such features
are, however.  Personally, I do almost all my programming in
EdSharp, including Window-Eyes (and JAWS) scripting.  EdSharp lets you
define and use code snippets conveniently, but it does not have
IntelliSense.

Hope this helps,
Jamal

Choosing an Editor

Choosing the right editor for writing scripts can make or break good
script
development. If you don't already have a favorite text editor, you'll want
pick one that has all of the features you need to develop comfortably and
accurately. Which features those are, however, will be solely up to you.
One
script author may prefer support for code collapsing, while another
prefers
code auto-completion, while yet another prefers nothing more than what
Notepad
has to offer.

Because Window-Eyes scripting doesn't require any feature from any
specific
editor, you get to decide which editor to use. That being said, your text
editor should be able to save standard, plain text files. In addition,
being
able to save a file to Unicode instead of ANSI will result in your scripts
file
is ANSI instead of Unicode, Window-Eyes will have to convert the file
format
before loading the script. While this conversion happens automatically
behind
the scenes, it is unnecessary overhead if you can save your scripts to
Unicode
from the start.

Here are a few popular editors in no particular order:

SuperEdi
Notepad++
VBS Edit
Edit Plus 2