Using Sounds

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:25:57 -0400

Hi Dusty,
Interesting. I use a sound scheme in JAWS to represent some common controls
and states. I like it. It speeds up my work.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"It's more important for me to start to do the right thing than it is to
wait until I think I
can do it just right."

             "dusty bray"
             <dusty_bray@hotma
             il.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Web Page Editor for the Blind

             10/10/2007 10:19
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Yeah, you're definitely right, inthane-- it should have an option to turn
off the sounds, but this version is severely lacking in many, many ways
right now.  i just wanted to give everyone an idea of how this system
works.

And honestly, i think if i gave that option initially, then everyone would
just turn it off and not actually try to make it work  smile.  i anticipate
this being somewhat of a learning curve because the user has to build
mental connections between a sound and its meaning.  In the same way, users
had difficulty transitioning from command line to Windows based operating
systems because the graphical symbols were totally unfamiliar at first.
But today, there exists a universally recognized set of graphics for
identifying objects, and these graphics allow sighted users to work more
efficiently now.  i see an opportunity to use background noises for the
same purpose.  You could fit a lot of useful information in that empty
space.

Of course, Windows has already tried to incorporate sounds into the
interface, but these sounds were used very inappropriately.  Instead of
associating objects with sounds, they associated actions with sounds, which
gives information after the fact.  So even as i use this new system, i'm
having to consciously reprogram myself not to think of these sounds as
actions but as markers for object types.

But i do want to know if people find this particular set of sounds
overbearing.  Should i adjust the volumes?  Can you hear the voice clearly
over the sounds?

Also, did you ever recieve my original message??  That's really strange.
It's still programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, right?

Ok, well definitely give me your oppinion if you get a chance to use the
software.  Thanks,

dusty.......

> From: inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Web Page Editor for the Blind
> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:23:42 -0700
>
> interesting, I got your reply to Dusty's message, but haven't received
the
> original even yet, hmmmmm!
>
> I haven't tried your ap yet Dusty, but it would be nice if you could
reverse
> things, in other words, turn off the added sounds, and return it to full
> speaking of the items, since I don't do well with sounds, maybe a check
box
> in an options menu/dialog for changing it, giving the user the choice?
>
> regards,
> inthane
> ? For Blind Programming assistance, Information, Useful Programs, and
Links
> to Jamal Mazrui's Text tutorial packages and Applications, visit me at:
> http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
> ? to be able to view a simple programming project in several programming
> languages, visit the Fruit basket demo site at:
> http://fruitbasketdemo.alacorncomputer.com

Designer

http://here-i-am.sourceforge.net/downloads/Here-I-Am_Page-Designer1.zip

http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline<html>

http://here-i-am.sourceforge.net/downloads/Here-I-Am_Page-Designer1.zip<br>The

href='http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline'

> > > target='_new'>Stop by today!</a></body>
> > --
> > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
> > How do
> > you spend it?
> >
> > John Covici
> > covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'カ翰学ョf渇旛jxハ恭・xjリカ淌 ュ迥ヒ「ク・嘯