Re: Unit Testing in .Net

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:55:42 -0800

The general approach advocated by some is that of Test Driven Development.

I have to say that whatever I've written using this approach has been
far more robust when it comes to quality.

The .Net unit test frameworks of which NUnit is only one, all have
lots in common.  Visual Studio comes with a unit test framework as
well and integrates the running of tests within VS itself.  The actual
tool chosen is a personal choice -- if you like integration with VS
for example or something independent.  What tool's UI do you like,
etc.

Basically, they all use .Net attributes to "markup" methods and
classes with metadata; think test name, test description, run time,
category, etc.  Then, at runtime, the runner just via reflection grabs
all of the tests and invokes them programmatically.

As for TDD, if you're not familiar with it, I'd recommend looking it
up.  Essentially, you write tests before actually even implementing
anything.  The tests serve as a statement of what you expect to be
true.  This obviously requires that you iron out what your class
interface should look like; this might not be the style you're used to
and something C++ developers are more acustomed to.

However, as you go along, you already have a set of validation tests
that verify that your stuff actually works without doing the tedious
pattern of compile, run, manually check if it works, and rinse/repeat.