Re: UML tool

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 19:20:17 -0400

Hi Nick: OK, sort of get it. How do you handle the UML Diagrams now? Is there some type of numbering scheme that UML uses to determine communications and UI flows and classes? I am wondering if there is any fundemental data stored that would allow the development of a verbal representation of the Massive Diagram in a usable manner for blind users. For example, in all charting there is the underlying data related to some measurade metrix. In a Communications Flow I would imagine there would be to and from targets with some type of logic for dynamic path changes based on some condition.I can understand how a sighted person could look at a hundred nodes at one time while a blind person would have to navigate the path in some sequential or skip-sequential series of readouts but if the data is there... If the UML application can take a application and generate a diagram that might mean that it also defines target to and from paths between elements and has to id each element in some way, perhaps a set of properties about the element and direct connections or conditionals leading in or out of the element. Anyway, how do you manage to get around a UML Diagram now? Would it really be worth the effort to try and make them speak in some audible fashon. Actually I could see where Braille would be better suited to this using a full sized Braille Monitor or whatever the current technologies offer Professionals working in the field who can afford such equipment.Perhaps a combination of a Braille Monitor and audio output would be the fastest method of handling these diagrams. Braille for paths and element short stub names and audio for the properties related to an element or something like that. Well, I think this is going to be out of my league financially. To do it right I would want to try the combination approach of Braille and Audio as I mentioned above. Just making an audio output might not be efficient enough for a Professional environment. There are some guys out there working at universities who should have access to such hardware and that would seem to be a good project to look at. I have seen the topic of UML come up often on list so I guess it is something professionals run up against often enough to make it a priority project someplace.

Later and thanks for the nice over view Nick:
Oh ya, let me know how you handle UML currently at work if yoo don't mind - just curious and might give someone else an idea.
Rick USA
----- Original Message ----- From: <Nick.Adamson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    On 2011-05-04, at 10:25 PM, inthane wrote:

    I'm not entirely sure but it was being done in dot net, either
C#
    or VB or both
    I sent it to you, did you not get it?
    elf

        On 2011-05-03, at 4:16 PM, inthane wrote:

        I have the files for a partially worked up UML tool someone
        was fabricating and had gotten working, but it does need
more
        work, would you like a copy.
        the originator became to ill to continue and left it with
me
        to distribute to anyone interested in working on it.
        let me know,
        elf