Re: Text Editors and Text Diff/Merge

  • From: "R. Haynie" <rhaynie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:43:22 -0400

Sauro,

Well I noticed the same thing.  I have not tried to determine if I can
change the display of "different" lines.  But since I use a screen
reader that can announce the background and foreground colors at the
current position of my cursor, I get by with no problems.

Keep in mind as well that WinMerge treats a set of contiguous lines with
differences as 1 difference.  So even though the status line might read
5 differences.  the actual count of individual lines may be higher than 5.

So what I have been doing was to toggle back to the full view of the
file, move line by line and check the background and foreground.  When
it changes, then I know I have reached the end of the group of lines
that made up that particular difference.

But since I know a lot about the code I am merging, once I see the first
line that starts the difference, I often remember what the difference
actually is before I read line by line.  That is just a bonus in my case.

They may have options available to modify this for us, but I have not
had the opportunity to check yet.

-Rodney