T00VWDSeries SetUpPreRequisits

  • From: "Ricks Place" <OFBGMail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 10:46:23 -0500

Here is the first installment in the article series. Take time to check out the
settings
against what you have and make sure to document any changes you make to your
settings
so you can change them back if you want. Also, let me know if you have something
set diferently that works better with jaws as I use Windoweyes. I will RePost
this
article as an attachment with subsequent articles until I am attaching 4 or 5
and
then will start not including older articles unless requested. I think Inthane
is
going to archive them on his site so you might be able to read them there as
well.
Happy Programming!
T00VWDSetUpPrerequisits
Last Updated: 02/07/2009
Last Change: Initial Release of this document.

There are many settings that impact how the IDE reads with a screen reader and
how it functions in general. Below are the settings I am currently using and
how to set them. If I change them I will post a update to this article.If you
find any that help make working in VWD Faster or cleaner with jaws or
WindowEyes let me know so I can modify this article and RePost it.If you set
any shortcut hot keys that help let me know that as well so I can pass it on.
I hope you enjoy and participate in the following series of articles. I want
feedback so I know what technology direction to take the articles in. If you
want to see something let me know and I will put up an example if I can.
Below is the first article.
Rick Farmington Mich. USA
<Article>
Select the options item under the Tools Menu to open the Options Window. A Tree
of tabbed ssettings comes up. Expand the tree if necessary by tabbing to the
"Show All Selections" CheckBox and checking it if you have that selection in
your version of the IDE.
The Root Level Branches in my Tree for VWD 2008 are:
Environment; ProjectsAndSolutions; TextEditor; DataBaseTools; and, HtmlDesigner.

Expand the Environment Branch.
On the General TabList of settings:
select Tabbed Documents for the Window Layout Radio Buttons;
Uncheck AnimateEnvironmentTools;
Close the Environment Branch.
Note that when you work on a project you can set your .window Types to Tabbed
and they will be easier to work with once the above settings are initiated.

Expand The ProjectsAndSolutions Branch.
On the General  TabList of settings:
AlwaysShow ErrorList If Build Finishes With Errors is UnChecked;
Always Show Solution is unchecked;
Show Output Window When Build Starts  is Unchecked.
On the BuildAndRun TabList of settings:
Build Output Verbosity setting is set to Quiet.
Close the ProjectsAndSolutions Root Branch.

Expand the TextEditor Root Branch.
Expand the All Languages SubBranch.
General TabList of settings:
Autolist Members is Unchecked;
Parameter Information is checked;
Word Wrap is checked.
ShowVisualGlifs For WordWrap is unchecked.
Line Numbers is checked;
NavigationBar is Checked.
Tabs TabList of settings:
Indenting is set to None;
TabSize and IndentSize are set to 1;
TabInsertSpaces is selected.
Close the All Languages Branch.
Expand Basic Language Branch.
VB Specific TabList of settings:
AutomaticInsertOfEndConstructs is Unchecked;
PrettyListing is Unchecked;
ShowProcedureSeperator Lines is unchecked;
Enable Error Correction Suggestions is unchecked.
Close the Basic Language Branch.
Expand the CSS Branch.
On the Css Specific TabList of settings:
Show StatementCompletion PopUp is unchecked;
 Show Property Descriptions Tool Tips is unchecked;
Detect Errors is Unchecked but I might check it.
On the Format TabList of settings:
Expanded is checked;
Capitalization is set to LowerCase.
Close the Css Branch.
Expand the HTML Branch.
On the Format TabList of settings:
Server Tag and Server Attributes are set to Assembly Definition;
Insert Attribute Value  quotes  When typing is Unchecked;
Insert Attribute Value  quotes  When Formatting is checked;
AutoInsert Closing Tag is Unchecked;
Wrap Tag When Exceeding Specified Length is checked;
Length is set to 120.
On the Miscellaneous TabList of settings:
Auto Format On paste is UnChecked.
On the Validation TabList of settings:
xhtml 1.0 Transitional is selected as the Target Validation Level;
Show Errors is Checked but I might Uncheck it;
As Warnings is checked;
As Warnings JScript is checked.
Close Html.
Note: The settings specified in the All Languages Branch are applied to all
Editors. If the particular setting is the same in all languages then the
setting is either checked or unchecked. If the setting is not the same in all
languages then the box is partially checked.

There are many, many VWD settings in this Window. Some other settings that
might prove very helpful if learned are the ability to set shortcut hotkeys for
almost every window, dialog orobject in the IDE from the
Tools>Options>Environment>Keyboard Settings TabList. Most of them do not have
PreDefined shortcut keys associated with them by default. I will be interested
to hear of any experimenting you do with defining hot keys for other IDE
features.
EndOfArticle