Re: Student Database Project

  • From: "Ricks Place" <OFBGMail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 06:22:23 -0500

Hi Marv:
What version of vb.net did you develop in? 2005 or 2008 and was it the Express or Full Version of VS? We have beaten this topic to death over the past few months. You know there are 2 ways to set up a Winforms Form. You can use the Table Layout Panel thingy, the Flow Layout thingy or manually calculate the start position and size of each control. There is no magic bullet that will do this for you, it is a big part of programming. Where do I put all these things on a Form? How big is the form and how will all my controls fit and look on the form? Personally, I set up controls to be used by me, Windoweyes, which means I want them positioned for exceptional performance with my screen reader. If I were working for sighted access I might do things a little diferently but have found that many of the design concepts I use to enhance an Application's accessibility apply to sighted folks as well at some point. For example, You could put perhaps 20 buttons on a form to do things and a sighted person could just look at the form and almost instantly pick one with the mouse. A sighted person might have to go through all or some of them one at a time listening to each to pick one which is a huge performance hit when a blind person uses the form. Now,a MenuStrip still has the 20 choices but broken into several root item classifications and each choice has a hot key combination. The access time, not to mention the viewable area displayed on the screen form is much cleaner and your form can hold more controls and look better. Also, after you get up to say 50 buttons even a sighted person will get tired of the clutter and you won't have much room on your form for any other controls without setting up everything small and scrollable. So the initial design of your form is important and will, to some extent, depend on your intended audience. So, figure out what you want to do with the form and use the positioning technique that you prefer and which will fit your design best. Who actually created the Application? Are they on list? Again, which version of vb.net was used?
Rick USA