Steps to Vinux virtual without a CD

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:59:47 -0500

Hi, all,

This is in response to all the Vinux discussions on unzipping and in
compressing and so forth of Vinux iso's for virtualization.  Had to
make my own thread due to digest mode so, sorry about that if it
messes with things.

First things first, you don't have to unzip or uncompress anything.
The .iso file can be used for your virtual machine without needing to
be burned to a CD.  It's the only way I do it and it makes Vinux run
faster for me for some reason.  So, here is what to do:

1.  Obtain and install the latest copy of VMware.
2.  Download .iso file of prefered version of Vinux.
3.  Save the file to a directory called "Vinux Source" or something in
your root directory.  (I do that because it saves typing and/or time
in browsing for the file in later steps.)
4.  Launch Vmware and tab to "creaqte new virtual machine."
5.  Arrow to "install from iso on hard drive" (probably worded
slightly differently since I am going from memory).
6.  When prompted, browse to the .iso file you saved to your hard drive.
7.  Hit next and then tell Vmware that you are installing a Linux
operating system and that the variant is Ubuntu.
8.  Next should bring you to the hardware settings.  You want to give
it around 650 MB of Ram.  (This may vary by person since some Windows
Versions are more resource intensive than others.  You don't want
Vinux using more than about 33% of your ram.  You need at least 512
though.)
9.  Still in hardware settings, let Vinux have 20 gb of hard drive.
10.  Hit finish.
11.  Give it some time to make all the directories and files and
things.  It should launch the Virtual Machine right after creating it
and it shouild start talking with espeak's voice soon.  You will
probably have to crank your volume way up to hear Orca at first though
because of the volume settings.
12.  Once you hear orca start talking, you will also hear the Gnome
start sound and then you will hear the Orca preferences dialog come
up.  From here, first order of business is to crank up the sound
volume.
13.  Alt f1 to open the "main menu" which is extremely similar to the
windows start menu.  arrow up to System and right to get into the
submenu.  Arrow down to preferences and hit right arrow for that
submenu.  Arrow up to sounds and press enter.  Tab till you are in the
slider to increase output volume.  I usually have mine set to 64200.
Once that's done, you can close that window with alt f4.

NOw, you can mess around with Vinux by launching applications,
tweaking settings with ORca and so forth.  To get to the command line,
you can either alt control t to open up a terminal in Gnome (the
x-windows system that provides the gui) or you can control alt f1 to
get to a console completely outside of the GUI.  Speakup is the screen
reader there.  Alt f7 takes you back to Gnome.

When you are done with trying Vinux out, you can alt f1 and arrow up
to shutdown and select "Shut down the computer."  It till close down
your virtual machine and close VmWare when it's done.

Hope this helps,
Alex M