Re: Sonified Debugger vs. Screenreader Question

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:50:25 -0000

Hi,

Andy wrote:
"I think GOMS estimates are built on sighted folks
as well, so I have no idea how they apply to the blind community."

When I was considering using KLM-GOMS a few years ago my thoughts were to use the operations that were applicable to blind users and to generate a new set of operations and timings for operations that only blind people perform. KLM-GOMS is based largely around physical tasks, such as pressing a key, and I can't see this varying a lot between blind and sighted computer users. The only reason why it might change is as a result of differences in typing mode, e.g. touch typing vs hunt and peck, but these differences can be found between sighted users as well.

I think GOMS is a pretty weak analysis technique. It has two significant failings. Firstly, it views users as invarient and we all know that no two people are not exactly alike. The second failing of GOMS, and its most significant in my view, is that the technique only gives superficial treatment to cognitive operations. Cognitive operations typically take up more time and effort than physical tasks, something that is especially true for novice users, and only providing for a simplistic model of these, as GOMS does, doesn't really accurately model a system in my view.

Will __________ View the list's information and change your settings at //www.freelists.org/list/programmingblind