Sodbeans 1.0 Released

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sodbeans <sodbeans-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Hundhausen, Christopher" <hundhaus@xxxxxxx>, neelima samsani <neelima.samsani@xxxxxxxxx>, Susanna Siebert <susanna.siebert@xxxxxxxxx>, Kim Slattery <kislatt@xxxxxxxx>, Andrew Hauck <drewhaus@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Haywood <andrew.r.haywood@xxxxxxxxx>, Melissa Stefik <harrismel@xxxxxxxxx>, Ed Gellenbeck <gellenbe@xxxxxxx>, Jerry Weinberg <jweinbe@xxxxxxxx>, Sina Bahram <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx>, Jamal Mazrui <Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxxxx>, Louie Most <louiemost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:49:18 -0500

Hi folks,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the first official public
release of Sodbeans, our custom programming language and environment
with significant support for the blind and visually impaired community
in NetBeans, has now been publicly released on Sourceforge. Several
members of our research and development team are flying to Washington
State on Saturday to work with some of the kids out at at the
Washington State School for the Blind, who will be the first to use
the tool in a class setting. We'll be working and gathering lots of
data to try and make improvements over the next few months, until they
begin their classes in January.

You can download the latest windows release from the Sodbeans website at:
http://sodbeans.sourceforge.net/download.php

A Beta Mac version is available from sourceforge.

Here's the official notes for our upcoming release:

Sodbeans --- A custom language, debugger, and environment built into NetBeans
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sodbeans/wiki/Sodbeans/ReleaseNotes

We've also updated Sappy in NetBeans with support for more screen
readers and much improved screen reading abilities for many of the
custom windows in the NetBeans platform. The new NBMs will hopefully
be available from the NetBeans update center soon:

Sappy in NetBeans --- a tool to expand accessibility support in
NetBeans generally.
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sodbeans/wiki/SappyNB/ReleaseNotes

Like anything in life, nothing is perfect, and birthing a unique,
talking, programming language, debugger, and compiler architecture and
wrapping it into NetBeans is a gargantuan task. Sodbeans 1.0 is still,
as the name implies, the first public release and there are a number
of features and code changes that didn't make it into this build. Most
especially of these, is that Sodbeans 1.0 is pretty slow, as we don't
have optimization on the docket until before the 1.5 release
(December, probably). With that said, we hope the community enjoys
some of the accessibility features we are the most proud of,
especially our talking omniscient debugger (backwards debugger) and
custom, screen reader friendly, programming language --- which we have
named Hop.

Thanks to all in the community that has made this work possible,
including my friends and colleagues at Southern Illinois University,
Washington State University, Central Washington University, the
National Science Foundation, and of course, the army of students and
community programmers that have given feedback, contributed code, done
testing, and otherwise helped out.

And now --- on to Sodbeans 1.5.

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville