Re: Silverlight Demos

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:49:16 -0400

To follow up, do you find Silverlight has the kind of across the board accessibility you want? My experience with it is much less than Flash, and I certainly have been lead to believe by my experiences that it's generally less accessible when in a Windows and Window Eyes environment. Beyond that, I wouldn't know. I don't do much web browsing in Linux or any other OS, except for little quick things. But this originally started as a Silverlight Vs. Flash discussion, and while Flash still has things to do for better accessibility, I've seen nothing to make me think Silverlight isn't in the same spot or worse right now.

On 6/25/2009 12:41 PM, Jared Wright wrote:
"You have perhaps seen Flash that is accessible with particular screen-readers..." Then, by definition, flash is accessible. It can become more accessible, absolutely. But kindly do not discredit accessibility just because it's not accessible in the way you'd like it to be. I find Flash to be quite accessible. I'm sure that has something to do with the adaptive tools and the computing environment I'm using, but those decisions always have an impact, either positive or negative, on the accessibility of software. Lobby for improvement, please do. but I find blanket statements like "Flash is not accessible no matter what Adobe tells you," to be pretty misrepresentative when I use it successfully every day.

JW