Re: Shell Programming Was RE: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 17:58:01 -0400

Yes, you did provide many valuable comments to my message containing areas to help in Vinux, some of our future decisions, and the issues list I gathered from many sources. I appreciated the feedback greatly. That list was a cry for help in several ways. First to get the list of issues understood and the need for a system to track these bugs /enhancement requests. Second, to get programmers interested in contributing an idea of the different areas we need help.

Perhaps you should consider taking on the assignment of "Lead Software Developer"? That position has been available for some time now for someone with more programmer knowledge than me or Tony. I am merely a coordinator. *Because of my health, it is difficult to put in more than a couple of hours a day. To make things worse, I am inherinently slow due to physical handicaps. *

*Yes, I would like help setting a bug tracking system up. I am looking at the software you suggested. Is it accessible and fairly easy to use? Launchpad bug tracking is out due too accessibility issues even though it can help keep track of dependant bugs in other projects, which is the norm for Vinux. We will often want to know the status of our patch as it is hopefully incorporated into the package, such as orca, and Ubuntu. I have also been considering Bugzilla. Mostly because it is used by several of the main packages to which we will be submitting bug reports and patches. Not that this is critical, but at least it will be well knoen to the developer. They will still need to replicate entry into both systems, but it will be familiar. It can easily be customized to provide the "depends" field for the related project's bug number. However, automating the status of the bug on the other project may not be possible. This would require this field to be manually updated as the status changes.

*
Vinux is somewhat odd in that our mission is not to create a whole new Linux distribution. In fact, we do not want the main distributions to feel they do not need to address accesibility! We would rather provide a stable accessible distribution based upon a major distribution, like Ubuntu. I like Luke's term of Vinux as an accessibility testbed for Ubuntu. Luke is in charge of accessibility for Ubuntu, and is now spending more time with Vinux now that Natty has been frozen. Perhaps more testing of Ubuntu packages, especially those related to the accessibility infrastructure, can be tested more thoroughly in the future before veing blessed by Ubuntu. This should alieveate much of our instability issues from updates.

I am sure Tony or Bill can create accounts for you on our git server. Once you have created an account on Launchpad and signed theirCode of Conduct, you can request to be on the Vinux team. This is where the Vinux repositories are located.

You are a very knowledgable programmer. I hope you will be able to contribute to Vinux! However, I have found you to be a little too confrontive on many lists in the past.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org <http://www.vinuxproject.org/> There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

On 4/8/2011 6:19 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
In an adendum: I don't know that I've been "making trouble," on lists. If you just took this moment to explode because of my comments on Vinux, the development cycle and organization is incredibly messy and unorganized; a lot of the items on the to-do list you were not sure of (which is fine, it's there), but no one seems to be able to validate it. I did offer to help with the bugtracking system, and gave my ideas and comments, to which I never received any sort of acknowledgement. I do not however control the vinux servers nor have access to them to start work on anything, even if my solution was liked, which means that I need some feedback/effort from the other side to go farther. If I am making trouble, as you say please feel free to let me know on or off list. I have, through the last few days more than anything been trying to give useful helpful information and answer questions with constructive answers. So, if you would like help with the bugtracking, let me know, but don't resort to insults when I've already given some information/ideas on it.
On 4/8/2011 3:58 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
I've told you that I would help. Insulting me really isn't the way to go about it.
As to whether I actually program:
http://code.google.com/p/aspenmud.

On 4/8/2011 2:44 PM, Don Marang wrote:
Vinux does use git for all of it's original content. We are currently getting burned in two areas. Rather than an outdated issues list, I am attempting to get a bug tracking system in place. However, for Vinux we need to track the progress of a bug / patch through the project, such as orca, and the distribution, such as Ubuntu. We need to track the status of when / if the bug gets resolved or a patch gets incorporated. Just this week, some patches have been incorporated into orca and Ubuntu Natty. That is one of our goals. A few others have been overlooked and need us to push them again.

The second area we have gotten burned is with Ubuntu changes wiping out speech and stability. We are considering ways to adapt our infrastructure and repositories to prevent this. Without becoming a major distribution and having all source code for every package and have an approval process for every Ubuntu package. We just do not have that amount of manpower. Tyler has been verbal against warnings on the Vinux list about applying each update, which is against Tony's recommendations because it can result in an unstable system.

Tyler, I have given you several suggestions about programming tasks you might want to consider. I even asked if you would assist in getting a bug tracking system in place. I will not be a dictator to volunteers. If you need that amount of direction, work as an entry level job at a comercial company. Tyler, I know you have a lot of programming knowledge, but I have never heard of any examples of your work other than making trouble on every list you are on. Do you actually program? Because your team skills need a lot of work!

*Don Marang *
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org <http://www.vinuxproject.org/> There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen

On 4/8/2011 12:28 PM, DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26 wrote:
I mean both a piece of software and a person tasked first with a project
freeze.  The person would go through the to do list and find out how each item
got on it and fix anything needing fixing based on current project status.
Once done a far clearer and more accurate to do list becomes available.  Then
as many versions of project components will have to be checked to learn if
versioning was done on those components consistently and where that has been
done the manager can start building a repository based on consistent versioning
information.  That will organize all of the components and locate components
with incomplete or missing versioning information.  Those who wrote that stuff
are going to be asked for versioning information for those components which
will be edited into those components and those components will then join what's
in the repository.  If what I read is correct, the project now is too
disorganized to use revision control software on i
t for now.  Once organization has been established and everybody is given a
commit url to the revision control system the freeze can then be lifted and
development resume.  However the revision control manager's responsibility from
that point forward in the project is to make sure all log entries are filled
out for commits in future and to be able to check out existing previous
versions of software when coders make mistakes and perhaps had a computer
accident of some kind and lost what they were writing.  During a freeze,
revision control managers report to project owners both on progress and copy
project owners on inquiry messages sent to project members about project
components with revision control projects.  Probably just before the freeze is
lifted, a thorough check of the to do list needs to be done to correct any
entries based on information gained during the freeze process.  Missing
documentation connected to customizations made by Vinux probably will be
another prob

em which can be written and updated during the freeze and checked in along with
associated project components like programs and configuration files.

From:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx