Re: Separating .net from Visual Studio

  • From: "Manish Agrawal" <manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 12:28:22 +0530

I have been using the visual studio IDEs right from VS 6.0 to VS 2000, 2003,
2005, and since recently 2008 express edition.
I don't need to draw a lot of windows forms controls etc. so, won't comment
on those features.
Otherwise, I find the IDE completely accessible. The big problem about the
error window popping up while typing has been substantially solved for me in
the following way:
When this window pops up for the first time, I take focus to that window
(ctrl+w e), then, go to the windows menu (alt+w) and then select hide.
That is it, the error window remains hidden and does not automatically pop
up untill I explicitly compile the project. The window starts popping up
automatically again after each compilation and I have to repeat the hide
operation.
I do not use any jaws scripts at all for visual studio. I actually go ahead
and remove the scripts for VS that get installed with jaws automatically. I
find the default environment sufficient for my use.
So far as benefits of using the IDE go, I cannot list them all here but some
of my favorite ones are:
- auto formatting or pretty printing
- intellisense
- watch windows, auto windows, and immediate windows
- trace debugging

Basically, it is not an option for me to use another IDE because I usually
work as a part of large teams.
I am fairly efficient at coding within visual studio and am willing to have
a small wager with anyone on a one-to-one coding contest for a fairly
complex multi-threaded app with a lot of classes and interfaces and so on.
Having said that, I agree that for a smaller, classroom kind of a project,
sometimes using a notepad kind of app may also be OK.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi all, I was wondering what experiences any of you could share about using
> any of the .net framework languages outside of Visual Studio? It's obviously
> very powerful stuff and stuff I need to be comfortable with, but I really
> just am not finding that I like the VS experience. Apparently I can work
> with my text editor of choice unhindered with the .net SDK, but I wanted to
> know if there are any other practical hurdles I've overlooked. I don't know
> many folks that do their .net in something other than Visual Studio, and I
> imagine there's a good reason why. Apologies if it seems I"m cutting some
> corners here too, I do have a programming class this semester centered
> around .net, hence the inquiry itself, and I'm really trying to find an
> alternative for VS or at least figure out VS real quickly, because it's sure
> making this course irritating.  Not a lot of fun when 30% seems to be
> software dev and the other 70% seems to be fighting with the IDE.Any
> thoughts welcome.
>
> Best,
> JW

Regards,