Seeking co-learners in Ruby on Rails development

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindwebbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, programmingblind <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Program-l <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 06:31:00 -0400

As you may know, Ruby on Rails is a popular web application framework. Its official web site is

http://RubyOnRails.org

Besides documentation there, I found an excellent tutorial at
http://RailsTutorial.org

I have included a text version of that tutorial, as well as many others on the Ruby language and Rails package, in the archive http://EmpowermentZone.com/ruby_doc.zip

After extensive research on web content management systems and application frameworks, I have decided that Rails is currently the best fit for some sites I want to be able to do. Its power comes with complexity, however, and, unfortunately, there are less resources available for helping Windows developers use this framework compared to Mac or Linux developers (I would develop on Windows and then deploy on a Linux web host).

So, I thought it could benefit my self-learning if other blind developers were also pursuing that path together. We could share tips along the way, hopefully helping one another out of jams, and reinforcing motivation to continue.

If anyone else on these lists is interested in learning Rails together, or if you happen to know Rails already and can lend a hand, please speak up.