Re: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 08:51:42 -0700

On Friday, Apr. 8, 2011, the wayward geek queried:
So, I guess I have to agree that at least in my own experience, being
a programmer with a disability isn't easy, and you either have to
confine yourself to what works well today, or be willing to roll your
own.  I know that in RSI land, most programmers are not willing to go
that far.  Is it similar in vision impairment land?  People just
aren't willing to do what is required to make their own environment
work?

Well I'm not sayin that isn't some of it. I would also say that, at
least for me, much of the difficulty I've had is trying to find
information, e.g., as on OSM's, as I pointed out earlier, or even on,
for example, programming of screenreaders such as orca or NVDA.
Because this is such a specialized niche, there just doesn't seem to
be a lot of info out there floating about, & this, Bill, is where I
could see your idea as being truly valuable, e.g., helping to compile
some of this really specialized knowledge or at least point folks in
the direction of where to acquire it, what tools they'll need b4
acquiring it, etc. I suppose the thing I ought to do is sign up on the
developer list of 1 of these, but u know, 1 doesn't feel particularly
comfortable just hanging around & not contributing, yet probably isn't
in the position to contribute much. I don't have a computer science
degree (mine's medical), which likely is a severe disadvantage. Still,
I'd like to learn these things. Maybe I'm just lazy or making excuses,
but it doesn't feel like that. It just feels like I don't know where
to start.

U also said:
The slow TTS engines were driving me nuts, so I wrote libsonic so I could
listen fast on Android or anywhere else.

Like I said, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

On 4/9/11, Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jim and others, Sorry I haven't really followed this thread much after
> spewing all over it about 24 hours ago. Brother's wedding today, so
> I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off in relation to
> all that goes into that event! I did see Jim's request for the link to
> the MIT course, so I wanted to provide that.
> http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008
> The course uses Python as its learning environment. There are many,
> many courses in MIT's video lecture hall, which can be found at
> http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/
> You also may want to investigate Google Code University, located at
> http://code.google.com/edu/ A variety of people contribute courses and
> other learning materials to this resource, and I have had success on
> multiple occasions contacting instructors requesting additional
> context in the rare event that not all materials are immediately
> accessible or practical. Remember, we don't have to do everything
> ourselves! We have to do SOMETHING ourselves. People won't give us
> everything spoonfed and on a silver platter. But I've countless times
> solved accessibility challenges because of the willing assistance of
> someone else who has no connection to blindness but simply enjoys
> teaching and appreciates being involved with another's genuine desire
> to learn. These sorts of people are invaluable because it is much
> easier to solve a blindness related obstacle when you have someone
> explaining to you what the sighted user is looking for when they are
> using the interface, application, etc.. And, you know, I've made a few
> great friends as a bonus perc. Happy learning!
>

> On 4/8/11, Homme, James <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Jared,
>> I'm very glad to find out about the free course you mention. It makes me
>> happy to know that it's there. Where is it on their site? What other links
>> are you hiding from us. <grin>
>>
>> I totally agree that the concepts of programming do not depend on vision.
>> Or, that they do not need to depend on vision. I like to hang out in this
>> environment for the touchy feely aspect. No pun intended. I like the
>> encouragement from those list members who have been there and done that. I
>> like to encourage others who are on their way to learning whatever I know
>> that can help them. Sometimes, we have a little difficulty in this
>> environment, because it's so easy to miscommunicate via e-mail, but In my
>> opinion, we are on this list to help each other along, more than we are
>> here
>> to pat ourselves on the back for what we know.
>>
>> I also feel, since I'm someone who helps people who are blind get jobs,
>> that
>> our clients feel better if they find out that someone we are helping get a
>> job with has their credentials from an institution that our clients know
> [...]

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Jaws Scripting training materials:
www.screenreaderscripting.com