Re: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:58:48 -0400

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Ken Perry <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  so some that I think would be of use.
>
> 1) Programming with GCC and g++ under linux
> 2) .net programming using visual studio both express and Pro.
> 3) Robotic programming
> 4) circuit design and programming.
> 4) assembler on multiple platforms.

I'll add Java programming in Eclipse.  Both Sina and Isaac seem quite
successful with this route.  I'll also add Bash shell programming.
Maybe even emacspeak.  Assember?  Really?  You must be almost as old
as me!  I can't even find people who care about speed or memory usage
anymore.

> this could be carried out at a location like a programming club we have
> several here in Louisville..  It could also be carried out on .line with
> skype which would add complexity but less cost.

I think we're so spread out, that getting groups of blind programmers
together regularly would be pretty hard.  Skype and similar
technologies are the way to go, IMO.

> It is something also that
> we could get colleges to sponsor or god forbid with the way our government
> is now we could even get government grants to run these kind of things.

Every time the government, with good intentions, gets involved in one
of my projects, it goes badly.  They dangle free money in front of
you, but it comes with crazy strings attached.  I think the rule for
taking money is that it cannot come with strings.

Bill