RE: Searching for blind programmer to start a school for blind programmers

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 07:44:16 -0400

Ok you know as Tyler says I sometimes flip flop after I have done some
thinking.  While I stick to my statement that having a special school for
blind programmers might not be the best way to go as a full school
experience.  Maybe.  The model might be better to have summer programs for
blind students of any level whether it be online or at a location where
blind students who are in or planning to be in regular programming classes
can take a course that will give them a leg up on making courses accessible
and learning programming.

so maybe for example like they have the lego robotics school for 3rd to 6th
grade students to learn programming there should be camp's or summer
lectures for the blind.  so some that I think would be of use.

1) Programming with GCC and g++ under linux
2) .net programming using visual studio both express and Pro.
3) Robotic programming
4) circuit design and programming.
4) assembler on multiple platforms.

this could be carried out at a location like a programming club we have
several here in Louisville..  It could also be carried out on line with
skype which would add complexity but less cost.  It is something also that
we could get colleges to sponsor or god forbid with the way our government
is now we could even get government grants to run these kind of things.

ken